Follow-up: Printing with HTML and CSS

Subject: Follow-up: Printing with HTML and CSS
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:18:03 +0100

Firstly, thanks to all who responded to such a nebulous and open-ended question.

Listening to the feedback on this list, and speaking to some colleagues, the consensus seems to be:

1. Whilst CSS isn't *bad* at setting out printed materials, it isn't sufficiently powerful for major jobs.

2. I'll probably have to work with wikis and CMSs that take most print control away from me anyway,

and

3. Whilst it's great to get to know XML and XSLT well, in practice, my proposed methods would involve reinventing a lot of wheels. Whilst building my own XSLT toolchain might be great training experience, for practical purposes I'd be better using existing XML toolsets like Docbook and DITA (as Richard Hamilton suggested)

It was interesting to read John Allred's account of the unfortunate legacy of SGML's demise. Like him, my perception as a newcomer to the field is of a wide array of confused, half-functional applications. One of the reasons I thought about a pure XML toolchain the first place is because all the other tools I've seen leave me thoroughly underwhelmed. Framemaker seems far too much hassle for what I want to actually do. LaTeX offers great flexibility but power that I'll never need. There's some interesting open source XML tools out there, like Syntext, but they feel unfinished.

As for the way forward, Prince XML sounds interesting (and anything simpler than FO is always a good thing). I'm tempted to stick with XML because we do indeed re-use a lot of information (we roll out lots of *slightly* different iterations of our product), and because the devs are keen on integrating XML docs into the application's embedded help.

Thanks for the insights.

http://www.doctohelp.com