RE: how useful are video tutorials/screencasts?

Subject: RE: how useful are video tutorials/screencasts?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:19:43 -0400

To counter people's objections about videos being long
and time-consuming - or having extraneous material
(presenter goofiness or advertising or whatever),
there are utilities that allow you to speed up
and slow down Flash and other video formats, while
keeping the audio tone sounding human (not chipmunk).

One that I've actually used is Enounce MySpeed.
I think it's about 30 bucks.
As near as I can tell, it works on Flash videos
that you are streaming from the web, but I don't
believe it works on a downloaded file that you
are running from your local hard disk (say, with
Windows Media Player or some-such).

I've used it on canned webinar and instructional
material and it's reasonably good at what it does.

Depending on the presenter, I've found that I can
follow what's going on at speeds between 1.3 and 1.7
times baseline. More than that and it's a struggle
no matter how clear the presenter. But, you can
fast-forward to skim unimportant sections at very
high speed, before slowing below 2x to resume
learning.

- kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com