RE: Structured FM versus Arbortext Editor

Subject: RE: Structured FM versus Arbortext Editor
From: <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:52:06 -0700

I'd have to agree with Gene here. In this type of environment what you'd
want to see most of the time is the raw structure. But...WYSIWYG can be
useful for checking that your structure is correct. A visual
interpretation can point out flaws.

I went through that today. I often work with an ancient version of
Arbortext (Adept v.7 1998). I'm halfway through a weeks-long updating of
many files, and today I thought I'd go ahead convert them all to PDF
just to see what I've missed. Sure enough, I had to make minor
corrections to a third of the files I'd already "finished". If Adept had
a WYSIWYG function I wouldn't have had to go through the (in my case)
very cumbersome PDF process.

BTW, I really hope the newest version of the Arbortext editor is greatly
improved from the one I use. I don't care for it at all.

-Brian H.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene Kim-Eng

After you work in structured for a while you'll probably come to see the
WYSIWYG display as a waste of screen space that could be showing you
more tree levels instead. It's not as if you're going to be manually
formatting structured documents. Or at least you shouldn't be if your
structure is well-formed.

http://www.doctohelp.com