Re: RE: Advice on software testing?

Subject: Re: RE: Advice on software testing?
From: "Dana Worley (MVP/JB)" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:51:10 -0600

Actually, as the Software Product Manager I do make the decision on when to ship :-) .

As I said in my post, I rely on the testers' input, as well as risk analysis, market demands, and customer commitments. Never did I say that a tester makes the decision on when to ship a product. But I do rely on their input, and I do rely on them to stand their ground and make a good argument if they feel adamant about an issue.

I don't agree that "there's something wrong with the process", as Dan says, if a bug is rejected. I may think something is a bug and document it as such, and in the end, if that bug is rejected I may agree with that analysis or not.

Dana W.

On 12:59 PM, Jimmy Breck-McKye wrote:

Hello Dana,
I take a different approach. It's good to be passionate about releasing solid software, but the decision to ship isn't just one for Quality Assurance. It's a business one, a strategic one, a project one - in fact, it's one with impacts on all corners of the organization, and one that several stakeholders have a say in. As testers, it's good to argue our cases. It's good to collect evidence, set it out as clearly as we can, and secure time with the decision maker to make ourselves clear. But that's all we do.
In fact, that's all we *can* do. We aren't equipped to make a complete decision whether to ship or not. We don't know the client's project, their priorities or internal deadlines. And for better or worse, we aren't responsible - or rewarded for - the consequences of an early or late release.
Test it, document it, log it. Give the decision maker the evidence they need. But draw the line there.
IMHO,Jimmy

--
Campbell Scientific, Inc.

http://www.doctohelp.com