Re: Advice on software testing?

Subject: Re: Advice on software testing?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 17:00:59 -0700

My manager told me I'm going to be adding software testing to my repertoire.
Any suggestions for a newbie software tester?

Not too long ago there was a similar thread on the STC Lone Writers list, and here's some of the most excellent info posters offered up:
--
For great background and good advice on the subject, look at Perfect
Software and Other Illusions About Testing by Gerald Weinberg, which I

I'm not sure that what we called acceptance testing fits the definition 100%, but it's the name that was given to the process to distinguish it from the heavy-duty QA that was also done.
--
You might find some of Rhonda Bracey's work useful in this regard:

http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/presentation-techniques-for-reviewing-a-user-interface/

http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/presentation-reviewing-screen-based-content/
--
To cut to the chase, I'd read the following article from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing. This is a general write-up, with of course lots of further links to read, will start you on the way to understanding the terminology. (Yes, Wikipedia is not the be-all-end-all, nor 100% "right", but for these sorts of initial education things, I believe it to be most excellent.)
--

http://www.doctohelp.com