Re: New words - where have you found them?

Subject: Re: New words - where have you found them?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:51:11 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Cc: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 4:16 PM

This got me thinking (that can be dangerous) of dictionaries for new words.

M-W has a sample list of new words. http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/new_words.htm

They also have a list of word that were new in 1806 when M-W was new. http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/reform-glossary.htm

I wonder why unibrow is a "new" word in the 2006 edition and its first "known" use is in 1988. I was teased for having a unibrow in 1978.

Lauren, two brows now.

The same reason many think kids today invented words like:

ttyl
cul
pos
l8r g8r
gr8
imho
imvho

when we were using these and more on the IBM Tell chat system about 30 years ago.

Of course, they think pos is parents over shoulder, and have no clue as to why we get upset if they use pos.

Most just do not realize how long ago some words were used until they are used by the general population. By then, they are often very old.

http://www.doctohelp.com