RE: Evaluation Process - HATs

Subject: RE: Evaluation Process - HATs
From: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
To: 'Robert Lauriston' <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:04:27 +0000

Yes. Flare's help rocks.

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Robert Lauriston
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 1:02 PM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Wow, you think Flare's help is excellent? I'd say around two-thirds of
the time when I'm doing something for the first time I can't find
instructions in the help and end up searching or posting on the
forums. And a significant fraction of my posts on the forums end up
with no solution other than filing a bug report / feature request.

The topic on hooking up CSH is one of the good ones, I passed that
along to a developer and it worked the first time around. Which makes
sense to me: MadCap seems like a developer-driven company, and Flare
development seems driven more by what they think would be fun to code
rather than by the real-world problems of tech writers.

I haven't used RoboHelp in quite a while, but the two companies do
seem to make similar mistakes. E.g. they both have track-changes
markup, but neither will let you output that markup to a PDF or Word
document so you can pass it along to reviewers who don't have Flare or
RoboHelp.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Flare's Help is excellent, and includes topics for developers (as in,
> here's how you hook up context sensitive help).  I've never dealt with
> Madcap support, never needed to.  I love the MadCap forums, and can
> often answer my own questions with a little research.

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/ccardimon%40m-s-g.com

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender by telephone or email reply.

http://www.doctohelp.com