Re: any legal issues w/writing press releases ?

Subject: Re: any legal issues w/writing press releases ?
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:54:14 -0400

This is a pretty easy one actually: Don't write stuff that is not true.
Thinking it is true when you wrote doesn't count. As one of my favorite
journalism profs used to say "If your mother tells you she loves you, check
it out."

Other than that, follow AP style, and write your release in the form of a
finished article. You stand a much better chance of being printed if the
reporter can just put their name at the top of the story and submit it.
BTW- this isn't plagiarism, this is how it works. Anything not fit to print
will be in the circular file moments after it's received, unless you've got
incendiary stuff. Works the absolute best if you can fit your material into
one of the Sunday/speciality categories. People on those beats are often
part time and low paid, anything you do to make their job easier will be
much appreciated.

Been there, done that, got the clips
-Greg

07/21/2011 11:11:19 AM:

> From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
> To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> Date: 07/21/2011 11:11 AM
> Subject: any legal issues w/writing press releases ?
> Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Hello, writers (on the several lists to which Iâm cross-posting
thisquestion),

> Iâll be talking to someone about part-time content writing, and one
> of their needs is âturn outlines into prose for publishing to the
> press.â Iâve never written press releases before, and wonder if
> there are any specific legal things I should beware of before
> jumping in to the assignment (assuming the opportunity pans out, that
is)?

> And if you have any books/white papers/websites to recommend for
> info about writing press releases, that would be very welcome!
>
> TIA,
> -Monique

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.doctohelp.com