Re: Tips on how to talk to SMEs

Subject: Re: Tips on how to talk to SMEs
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:37:15 -0400

Ruth,

You've raised an excellent point. I was pondering William's message today after I read it. I was thinking about how to respond or even if I should because I do feel as if there is room for both types of writers - some who are more "reporter" in approach and some who are more technical. But as I thought about it more, I think that a lot of the approach depends on the project and what it demands.

For example, I am the sole writer for a fairly large training system that contains many subsystems. No one person (including the engineers) on this project knows every piece of the system intimately, no matter how technical they are - although there are a couple who have fairly deep knowledge acquired over years. Part of the reason is because this system interfaces with other very large systems that have varying levels of documentation available. Also, some of the equipment is used by different members of the military during engagements - much of it is designed around specific military doctrine for certain types of positions.

Much of the equipment that it interfaces with is very complex. For example, one compact piece of equipment that interfaces with the system has a 1,000+ page documented manual. On top of that, the system is continually evolving with new versions of different pieces of equipment at a very fast clip. We delivered a version 3 months ago - and in 3 months - 5 different pieces of software changed versions in addition to the software the program ourselves. And I don't only have to keep up with software and hardware changes, but all of the changes in buildings that relate to this training system. I'm talking about circuit changes, zone changes for networks, even the way clocks are wired - and I've never been to any of these facilities (one is halfway around the world). Typically, I have to maintain about 14 different pieces of documentation per release - and sometimes the releases are a couple of times a year. While it would be great to be a technical expert, it is more advantageous to be a reporter in this position.

So, I try to hone technical expertise as much as I can, but act as a reporter, sometimes like an "in the guts" technical writer, often like an editor, and like a graphic artist. The way in which you approach a technical writing project differs depending on the size of the project and the number of moving parts, I think.

I think too that we bring SME-level knowledge when it comes to the end user. We shouldn't underestimate that. To change something difficult into something easy-to-understand is a real skill that I think that we shouldn't discount - regardless of how we approach the technical writing task.

Chantel

On 7/14/2011 1:37 PM, Ruth Sessions wrote:

William:

I agree that the true tech writer becomes expert in the product. The difference between a tech writer and an engineer is that the writer develops product expertise over time -- gets to know all aspects of the product, rather than just one small piece of it, in the course of documenting that product. Often the engineer walks in to work on a product with a different expertise of his or her own that he or she applies to develop a small piece of the product. The engineer might never become an expert in the entire product the way that the tech writer eventually does.

Because our job as tech writers is to to learn the product as thoroughly as possible, applying previous experience and technical knowledge, we may start out on a product seeming relatively naive, but a good tech writer eventually becomes a respected member of the team.
Perhaps the term SME is disturbing because use of it seems to imply that the tech writer will never develop any expertise. Your experience and mine both refute that assumption. I still remember considerable information about products I learned more than 15 years ago. I believe we continue to build on what we learn about each product and that the more products we've worked on, the more we have added to our personal technical repository and the more we have honed our ability to learn. So, even if a writer is not an expert in semiconductor manufacturing, the experienced writer can still document products in that field and develop that expertise.

Ruth

Ruth Sessions
603/886-7355