Subject: TechWhirler Recap for July 1, 1867
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 08:50:05 -0500

This week’s update is supported by Platinum sponsor Adobe & RoboHelp 9 |
http://goo.gl/mWtcM

Independence Day in the US on Monday, while our friends in Canada celebrate
Canada Day today, so the gang at TechWhirl will be taking a welcome break
from the daily grind, waiting for fireworks and trying to remember the words
to the Star-Spangled Banner.

Some of us may also be considering the other facets of Independence like the
independence from captive employment. Or, the financial independence that
comes from finding a new job, moving up the ranks, or starting a new career.
July on TechWhirl focuses Career Decisions and Transitions. This month also
marks the start for our Special Writers Unit with Jacquie Samuels’ article,
“Going from Zero to Superhero” on Tuesday, July 5.

However, before we jump off into the always hot world of job search – we
wanted to take one final look back at June (and a little of May) and our
focus on social media and technical communications. We got back into the
publishing game with Geoff Hart’s Two Part Series, Taking Advantage of
Social Media (Part I, goo.gl/HKx6J | Part 2, goo.gl/giogi) back in May and
were off to the races. From there, a quick epic on the Communications
Cycle:

· The New Communications Cycle Part 1: Know Your Audience … and How
They Consume and Create Content (goo.gl/JUnZB)

· Part 2: Consumption is a Two-Way Street (goo.gl/4l4RH)

· Part 3: Analyzing and Updating Content with the 3Rs (goo.gl/sXCj3)

And then some trend analysis of one of the oldest and most active email list
discussion groups for technical
communicators<http://www.techwr-l.com/techwr-l-list>to help us make
sense of our fast-changing field with “Top 5 Trends in
Technical Writing” (goo.gl/T4BW0). Finally, we tied together our look at
social media, and our current focus on careers with “Presenting Your
Portfolio in the Digital Age”.

The fates seemed to converge, as we learned to apply what we’ve learned
about social media, balancing the views of thoughtful and respected guest
bloggers stating their opinions with presenting opposing views of equally
thoughtful and respected leaders from STC <http://www.stc.org/> (full
disclosure, also a sponsor). Our conclusion? It’s not about right or wrong
but attitude online, and both Robert <http://www.robertdesprez.com/> and
Kathryn showed the best kind of attitude and that it was possible to
disagree, without being disagreeable.

So as we close the “book” on this one – or perhaps turn off the screen? –Now
it’s time to dust off those resumes, dig out those great samples, and figure
out your next career move. The SWU is ready to go, are you?

Some of that Social Media Stuff:

Are you are Facebook Friend? Would you like to be – no charge – more fun
than a mouthful of pop rocks | http://goo.gl/tDrW7

Want all this TechWhirl goodness 140 characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
What You’re Talking About

Quick shout outs to our Tech Writers and their discussions:

o The very hot “Anyone can write – just look at the job descriptions”
topic seems pretty timely considering the upcoming month of content on

o John Posada started another interesting thread on writing for consumer
level knowledge bases when he asked for thoughts on “Uninstall Instructions
for Consumer-level Readers.”

o Di’s question on using an “Edge effect on cropped screenshots?” has
prompted a diverse range of opinions on effects, and on the use of
screenshots in the first place.
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

· New: “Presenting Your Professional Portfolio in the Digital Age” |
goo.gl/qu8z8

· Classic: “Humor: New Publications Guidelines” by Tom Murrell |
goo.gl/O1haE

· Poll Question: What’s your opinion of the economy when it comes to
searching for a new job? | techwhirl.com

everyone who participated
Upcoming Events & Articles

· New: “Going from Zero to Superhero” by Jacquie Samuels

· Classic: “What Can We Learn from Other Functional Areas?” by David
Stewart

· Poll question: What is your ideal job?
SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to sponsors. Without them, we’d
have no boom in our fireworks.

Platinum: ComponentOne, Madcap, Adobe

Gold: EC Software, Society for Technical Communication (STC)

Silver: Vancouver Island University

http://www.doctohelp.com