Subject: TECHWHIRLER RECAP FOR OCTOBER 9
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:44:19 -0400

This week’s update is supported by Platinum sponsor Madcap & Flare 7 |
goo.gl/pg2HQ

With the sounds of Country Roads and a faint crackle of a slowly roasting
couch, it’s this week’s TechWhirler Recap. Updates like these, we’ve been
told, are almost heaven.

This week, in lieu of another 5000 word multipart essay, we’ve been talking
about trends. Some teasers in a blatant attempt to get you to click: social
media is all talk, things are becoming cloudy, ROI is more valuable than
ever and there’s a small but growing movement to go back to 350 page paper
manuals … read more (goo.gl/T4BW0).

Speaking of surveys, our first annual TechWhirl survey is still open, but
like a diner on a windy road, it’ll close someday and that someday is next
Tuesday. So, can you please go take it? (goo.gl/MwgmA) Our best design
flaw on the survey so far – asking people who can only get the survey via
the email list if they’re indeed on the email list. The fact only 97% of
people say they are indeed on the list is a little troubling. [I keep
wondering how bad my paragraph transitions will need to be to get a
complaint but still nothing, however put the wrong article in front of a
sponsor name …]

Our exhausting, no that’s not right, our exhaustive discussion on Social
Media, which only seems to be used by conference presenters, consultants and
bored online magazines comes to an end next week. The Special Writers Unit
(Special Writers’ Unit?) are at this very moment – right now – diligently
pounding out articles for next month’s topic: Career Decisions or
Transitions, or My boss is stinks and I keep shooting into the ground around
my house but can’t find oil so I better get a new job month (extra points if
you catch the reference).

We’re very excited on a number of levels. First, we’re excited that we get
to publish Jacquie Samuels (SWU) first article on TechWhirl and for the
Special Writers Unit, second Connie’s excited that she won’t have to write
an article that should take two weeks in two days and third – did we mention
we’re tired of this topic – for now?

Now is later so it is time to promote our … Social Media stuff:

Are you are Facebook Friend? Would you like to be – no charge – more fun
than a barrel of monkeys | http://goo.gl/tDrW7

Want all this TechWhirl goodness 140 characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg

Fun’s over – put on your hardhats and go back to the mine.
What You’re Talking About

Quick shout outs to our Tech Writers and their discussions:

o “Question about "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing”—asked
by Craig Cardimon with answers that generated new questions about modifiers
and marketing, and Krista let us know a new version is in the works.

o Kevin McLaughlin issued a “WARNING! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!” with
really great questions about regulatory compliance and labeling on products
and the importance of getting the right experts involved.

o Cat Salm is challenged by the review “process” in her organization and
is looking for advice on “creating a template with locked” sections and
style. Whirlers are responding with advice on Word forms and web pages.
Keep us posted on the outcome.
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

· New: “Top 5 Trends in Tech Writing” by Connie Giordano | goo.gl/T4BW0

· Classic: “Conquering the Cubicle Syndrome” by Geoff Hart |
goo.gl/wHwMp

· Poll Question: What work hat do you wear in addition to Technical
Communications? | techwhirl.com
Upcoming Events & Articles

· New: “Presenting Your Professional Portfolio in the Digital Age”

· Classic: “Humor: New Publications Guidelines” by Tom Murrell

· Poll Question: What’s your opinion of the economy when it comes to
searching for a new job?
SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to sponsors. Without them, we’d
only be able to make moon-.

Platinum: Adobe, ComponentOne, Madcap

Gold: Society for Technical Communication (STC), EC Software

Silver: Vancouver Island University

> OK fine, a couple of you read to the bottom. Thanks. And before we hear
anything about banjos – that was Georgia

> Yes we know the second paragraph was inaccurate – the ROI thing is merely
just lip service during budget time and not *really* a trend …

http://www.doctohelp.com