Re: Name of "receptacle" on back of hard ware that...

Subject: Re: Name of "receptacle" on back of hard ware that...
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:34:54 -0700

Is this consumer or industrial hardware? For consumer hardware, the current
convention seems to be to just say "connect power cable" and display a
graphic rather than confusing consumers who may not know what the difference
is between a plug and a socket. For industrial hardware, where the "male"
or "female" connectors may be either on the cable or the panel, the norm is
to identify the connector by type, as in "IEC 60320 C14."

The only place I seem to see "plug" and "socket" used very much these days
is in parts catalogs.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com