Subject: TechWhirler Recap for June 3
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:16:19 -0500

This week’s update is supported by Platinum sponsor Adobe & RoboHelp 9 (
http://goo.gl/mWtcM ).

Drafted from the “One Win and we’re NBA World Champions, Cleveland send your
thank you notes to Dallas, TX” location, it’s our weekly update. Yes,
officially TechWhirl is co-located in two cities – Dallas, TX and Charlotte,
NC but since most of the NC teams have some improving to do – we’ll go with
Dallas for now.

Speaking of TechWhirl, or the site formerly known ad Techwr-l, we officially
rolled out a change of logo and operating name this week. We like to see
newbies tongue-tied at trying to pronounce Techwr-l as much as the next
person, but we thought if we all call it TechWhirl, so then let’s call it
abbreviation for tech writer list so we’re keeping it for the … tech writer
list. We hope to find other ways to keep the name alive and kicking. All
the domains point to the same place so there’s no need to change bookmarks,
alter tattoos or anything else.

Speaking of getting tattoos while doing an online certificate [we only
forced this transition a little], we want to give a big shout out to
Vancouver Island University and their Technical Communication Certificate
Program (http://goo.gl/tjoxF). We really appreciate them coming back for
another year.

Some announcements and improvements to the site: First, we’re looking to
create a team of writers for TechWhirl’s online magazine. We’re holding two
discussion sessions over the weekend. More details here - goo.gl/Qvyrr . And
second, you can get all our online goodness via our brand new shinny RSS
feed, which can be found at goo.gl/MYS3l

Quick shout outs to our Tech Writers and their discussions:

o Best response to a Tweet – -at- RyanMinaker tweeted
@techwritertoday<http://twitter.com/techwritertoday>
*writers of fortune... cool. Can I join?!* in response to our Tweet: *love
when a plan starts coming together: starting to assemble a crew of writers.
May need to buy a cigar and a black van with a red stripe. *

o Discussion topics- The biggest threads this week were “Can this career
be saved” and its various morphs including reminiscing about the good old
days. Not as long a thread (yet), but highly entertaining, check out Dan
Goldstein’s description of alternative technology.
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

· New: “The New Communications Cycle Part 2: Consumption is a Two-Way
Street” by Connie Giordano (goo.gl/4l4RH)

· Classic: Conducting Effective Team Technical Reviews, by M. Katherine
Brown

· Poll Question: How do you prefer to gather customer feedback for your
documentation cycle? (goo.gl/9o48w)
Upcoming Events & Articles

· Writing for TechWhirl Discussions: Saturday @ 2pm EDT & Sunday @ 7pm
EDT (goo.gl/Qvyrr)

· New: “The New Communications Cycle Part 3: Analyzing and Updating
Content with the 3Rs,” by Connie Giordano

· Classic: “Taking Your Show on the Road: Constructing and Using an
Online Portfolio,” by Bruce Byfield

· Poll Question: How do you show your portfolio of work to a potential
employer or client?
SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to sponsors. Without them, our
plans could never come together.

Platinum: ComponentOne, Madcap, Adobe,

Gold: The Society for Technical Communications (STC), EC Software

Silver: Vancouver Island University
Advertising Central

*Competitive Upgrade Pricing on Flare, MadPak and MadPak ML*

Looking to make the switch to MadCap Software? During the month of June
only, take advantage of these special competitive upgrade prices on Flare,
MadPak and MadPak ML. Plus, get FREE JumpStart Training! A $299 value!

$699 Flare (Save $300)

$1099 MadPak (Save $300)

$1399 MadPak ML (Save $300)

Contact a MadCap sales representative for more information.

Email: sales -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com
Phone: +1 (858) 320-0387
Toll Free US/CA: +1.888.623.2271
http://www.madcapsoftware.com

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist

http://www.doctohelp.com