Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"

Subject: Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:14:47 -0400

This thread is really bringing back memories. I remember working on my school newspaper and having to cut and paste sections to layout the newspaper back in the late 80s.

My first real job was as a computer operator in 1988. My days consisted of mounting and remounting mag tapes, cleaning tape drives, retrieving tapes from the automatic tape library that didn't quite make it onto the metal arm, and learning JCL to control IBM mainframes. I was bored stiff. I transferred to an office doing administrative work (the pay was better and I didn't have to work swing shifts), but the work load was light and advancement was extremely limited. So, I ended up spending most of my time teaching myself the Wang wordprocessor (anyone else remember that?), Framemaker (which was available on the Sun 3 and Sun 4 machines - before the Sparc Stations), reading man pages and experimenting with unix commands, vi, emacs, and how to program in basic (goto anyone?) - which was the only compiler I had access to at the time. I used Officewriter for word processing. I learned Wordperfect too and tried to get my hands on a copy of Harvard Graphics, but ended up really concentrating on Interleaf and Framemaker. I had no idea that I'd ever be a technical writer - I didn't even know what a technical writer was. But, when I graduated from undergrad, those skills really helped me to land my first and second tech writing gigs.

On 6/7/2011 10:29 PM, beelia wrote:

Those Radio Shack TRS-80s (AKA "trash 80s") were important little machines.
They ran XENIX, a very respectable version of UNIX.

It was circa 1978 - before IBM Personal Computers were unleashed on the
world in 1981.

I learned troff on that pup!

Bee

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Bill Swallow<techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>wrote:

Too funny! I just posted this to Twitter today:

#mytechchildhood | desktop: http://is.gd/gfAQd6 portable:
http://is.gd/TQy8zE gaming: http://is.gd/RQaLRY cellphone:
http://is.gd/WPCghk

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Pinkham, Jim<Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
wrote:
At my aforementioned first job, they got Macs the day I left to go to
grad school -- the beginning of the computer era for them.

At the second job, we had Word Plus -- search and replace was a very
Pacman-like process :)