Re: Can this career be saved?

Subject: Re: Can this career be saved?
From: Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 6/6/11, Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I have only needed Framemaker skills twice in the last 12
> years or so. And
> not much before that. However, RoboHelp and MadCap
> Flare have been very
> important, and I learned XMetal with DITA on my last job.

Hm. I saw DITA required on one of the job sites, but I don't know what it is.

If FrameMaker and Quark are going out, what is coming in to replace them?

I'd love to learn RoboHelp - I used it long ago, and liked it - but my school doesn't offer a class in it, so I'll have to get a copy for myself and play with it. I understand that RoboHelp isn't being supported anymore - is Flare what's replacing it?

> Contracting is also a good idea, if you feel you could work
> on some
> short-term assignments. That's a great opportunity to learn
> some new tools
> while you are working. All you need is someone to give you
> a shot at it.
>
> Best of luck!

Thanks - I think I'm going to need the help. SE Michigan isn't a hotspot for great jobs. Still, I was impressed with the number of jobs (more than two or three) I saw on Indeed.com.

I'd rather not get back into contracting if I can help it - I don't have the contacts anymore for gigs, and am not sure how to find them anymore. In that respect, I'm really starting from scratch.

I'm feeling a mixture of terror and excitement about getting back into writing. this is a good thing.

I can't thank you all enough - every one is being remarkably helpful and supportive.

-Becca

http://www.doctohelp.com