RE: Saving data to hard drive vs posting it to network

Subject: RE: Saving data to hard drive vs posting it to network
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, 'techwrl' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:06:14 -0700

Cardimon, Craig wrote:

> For those of you who store your work on a network rather than on your
> local machine, do you actually work on the network, or do you just move
> your stuff up there later?

I always work on files locally and periodically copy them to the network share. Two reasons:

(1) In my young and foolish days, I ran into problems working over the network on FrameMaker files containing referenced graphics and text insets, probably due to network latency. And I've heard tales of woe from others using various applications who've had similar problems.

(2) If I'm working on local files, I'm not impeded by network outages/congestion or loss of connectivity (I work from home over a VPN fairly often).

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom