RE: Edge effect on cropped screenshots?

Subject: RE: Edge effect on cropped screenshots?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Rick Stone'" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>, "'Al Geist'" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:51:08 -0400

Rick Stone complained about "One thing that drives me crazy as an end user
is when authors choose to only capture the button or toolbar in question and
present that. I find that this technique fails (at least it fails for *ME*
as a reader) because I'm not oriented to *WHERE* the object is on the Screen
or Dialog."
________________________
Rick:

I also capture images of buttons or toolbar icons and insert them into the
text instructions, so I can say, "click [X], and not repeat the names of the
items over and over. I only do this after I've shown an appropriate
screenshot the shows the button or icon in situ first. The other thing I do
is to put the icon into Paint and clean up the outline. or put a border
around it so it is clear when I use it as a text insert.. I also use the
font formatting tools to drop such an icon a couple of points below the text
line so it doesn't noticeably disrupt the line spacing.

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com