Re: Learning HTML

Subject: Re: Learning HTML
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:23:10 -0400

I also agree with the choice for O'Reilly books. One O'Reilly series that I like is the "Heads First" series. As a tech writer, I've found this series to be helpful because it explains concepts clearly and is often a good preparation for meatier (and often drier) technical books. Check out info about the HTML/XTML/CSS book here: http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/. I think you can find a preview of this title on google books as well. One of the things I like about this book is that it addresses topics such as the separation of code and presentation and so forth in a way that is not intimidating. While it isn't quite as exhaustive as some of the other O'Reilly books, it is quite readable and uses several different teaching approaches that are designed to help you learn topics quickly.

Chantel

On 5/17/2011 2:02 PM, Chris Morton wrote:

I second Scott's choice. I own O'Reilly's *CSS—The Missing Manual* and enjoy
using it FAR more than any Dummies book (which tend to be an insult to my
intelligence).

Simple to use and understand, these days I always look to O'Reilly first for
tech books, even though they've declined to employ me on two occasions now.
(S'OK... although I'd like to live closer to Point Reyes National Seashore,
I wasn't the least bit impressed with Sebastopol.)

Chris
On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Scott Turner<quills -at- airmail -dot- net> wrote:

I recommend looking through the O'reilly books. Those are quite good and
are mostly current.

http://oreilly.com/

Scott

On May 17, 2011, at 12:11, Jimmy Breck-McKye<jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

Hello Toni,

If you intend to learn HTML, I would also recommend learning CSS. HTML on
its own doesn't give you that much power over (easily) controlling complex
layouts and formatting. CSS, however, gives you an awful lot more control.
In CSS, you define individual styles and a set of formatting rules in a
'stylesheet', linked to the document. You can link several documents to the
stylesheet for consistent formatting, and reformat them all in an instant by
simply redefining the single style rule. This is far better than the HTML
equivalent, where you have to hunt down rogue bits of formatting in *every*
document.

If you're interested, there are scores of CSS tutorials out there. But I
personally recommend buying or borrowing a copy of "CSS Web Design for
Dummies". It's a well-printed book and you should be able to find one at any
largish library.

Toni Williams wrote:
I have been tasked with learning HTLM. My question for the group is do
you know of any websites I can access for this purpose. Thanks for all
input.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as quills -at- airmail -dot- net -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/quills%40airmail.net

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
Doc-To-Help.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/brathwaitec%40castupgrade.com

Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer
Cole Engineering Services Inc.
Web: http://www.coleengineering.com
Email: Chantel -dot- Brathwaite -at- coleengineering -dot- com
Phone: 407-207-1773 ext. 4138

http://www.doctohelp.com