RE: Advice on starting out; dealing with employers

Subject: RE: Advice on starting out; dealing with employers
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:32:57 -0400

I'm no expert on learning and reading disabilities, but CogniBeat (an
advocacy site for parents of dyslexic children) says: "Double-spacing
after periods has the effect of creating vertical rivers of white space
within the text. This so-called 'river effect' makes it hard for a
dyslexic reader to find where sentences start and end. Single-spacing
after periods, on the other hand, offers just the right amount of space
between sentences."

On the other hand, the W3C guidelines recommend the exact opposite.

Anyone know of a research reference for this question? Usability for
dyslexic readers is a serious issue in our line of work, and it would be
good to have a recent reference point.