RE: OK, I shut down the computer...

Subject: RE: OK, I shut down the computer...
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:09:17 -0500

>From when I was writing to that audience for networking products a lifetime (or 4 years) ago... anytime there is a required reboot of equipment (or even a specific order to plug it in/reboot/etc.) one of the more important things is figuring out what happens when people don't look at the instructions at ALL and go about in whatever fashion tickles their fancy, and you can get some very unexpected results. We're all very used to plug & play technology these days, but sometimes a botched install can lead to something loading with the wrong drivers and it may even seem functional for a little while before the big problems come up. (Especially for cheaper products, I usually assumed that people reading the instructions for the first time had already made their own unsuccessful attempt to install by that point). Some people are just not going to read the instructions. Make sure that even for those folks, there is information somewhere so they don't have to call the help desk.

Installers are a good solution... they can help automate the process order, and on-screen instructions probably have a better chance of being read than anything in print. Even if you don't have an installer that does anything, it at least gives the impression that things are happening and can help guide the user in many cases.

- V

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:16:29 -0400

From: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>

To: reshma pendse <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>

Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Subject: Re: Fw: Re: OK, I shut down the computer...

Hi, guys...thanks for all the input.

Two outcomes...

1) We've done an analysis of the process at the technical level and

there is no reason that we have to shut the computer at the beginning.

Even though step 2 is to shut down the Internet modem, as long as the

user doesn't leave the page, the page will continue to display in the

browser. We just have to reboot at the end to update some dynamic IP

addresses.

2) We're launching a task force to look into delivery of installation

instructions via text message. Thanks Reshma.

Thanks, guys

--

John Posada

http://jposada.zenfolio.com/