Re: Searching Techwr-l archives (Was: Advice on starting out)

Subject: Re: Searching Techwr-l archives (Was: Advice on starting out)
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:17:07 -0500

[From Al, as opposed to Connie since it's an Admin account]

Re: D7

There will be a point and time when we pull the trigger and upgrade to
Drupal 7, but I agree with Ed that it's not quite ready for prime time.

On average, I have a pretty good feel for Drupal as a solution. It's really
my tolerance for fiddling with the old theme's CSS versus moving toward a
brand new shiny theme that I can customize (so the next folks can pull their
hair out :).

Lauren's thoughts on starting with Zen Framework prompted me to finally go
to the site and download it to our test server. Reviewing it, was for just
a moment, like finding myself on a nice warm island with plenty of cold wine
and a good seat for viewing the ocean. But then, I went back to our current
theme which required a coat, gloves and a flashlight. For the record, it's
mostly my in experience with this level of programming rather than anything
else. In a previous life I gathered requirements, fleshed out use cases,
and occasionally funct specs and then happily handed it over to our
technical team to do the voodoo that they do. But now I do all the
functional work on an envelop and go back to working on the rail road.

We're working toward a reorganization of the current site in something we're
calling version 2.5 so when we do put up new content it's easier to find,
etc. Once we hit a steady-state with 2.5 - I'll then start building version
3.0 from the ground up.

take care,
al

Empowering Technical Writers since 1993