RE: FM 10 under Win 7 Ultimate

Subject: RE: FM 10 under Win 7 Ultimate
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <daniel_f -at- radwin -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:17:58 -0400

It's not a workaround. It's the way the feature was designed to work. When you're printing to a physical printer, hyperlinks and bookmarks are completely extraneous and shouldn't be included. When you're performing a print operation that is being sent to a file that will be distilled into PDF or printing to a virtual printer that produces a PDF as it's direct output, you have to tell FrameMaker that to include the data necessary to produce links and other interactive features if you want those features.

I have to say that you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this whole issue. There is no such thing as a perfect software application. Every software tool has bugs and design shortcomings of varying degrees, just as every document that we create using those tools has places where it can be improved (at least in somebody's eyes). Jumping directly from "this app has a bug" to "let's file a class action suit and make them regret that they ever released this product" seems like a pretty big leap to me.

-Fred Ridder

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:31:02 +0200
From: daniel_f -at- radwin -dot- com
To: docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com
CC: techshoret -at- yahoogroups -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Fred’s answer is the workaround.

I still believe that Adobe aught be taken to task (or to court!) over the Distiller issue. Other than that, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, which we can close.
Daniel Feiglin| Technical Writer| RADWIN | t. +972 (3) 769 2827 | f. +972 (3) 766 2902 | m. +972 (52) 3869986 | www.radwin.com