Re: 3-D

Subject: Re: 3-D
From: Chantel Brathwaite <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:40:27 -0400

If accurate, 30% is a rather large figure. I would imagine though, that people who have astigmatisms and who are wearing eyeglasses as they play the game might not run into the problem .... but I don't know this for sure. It seems that the way they accommodating those who cannot or who do not wish to use the 3D technology is to have the games available in 2D as well.

I can understand how a company might not want to pour time and effort into something that might add more development costs, but that might not yield a lot of revenue. My guess is that if customer demand for the technology is significant after it launches, Nintendo might decide to put more resources into this again ...

On 3/23/2011 1:57 PM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Astigmatism affects about 80% of all eyeglass wearers, or roughly 30%
of the general population. If a display system doesn't work for that
large a portion of its potential market, I'd call that a limitation of
the technology.

Gene Kim-Eng

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Chantel Brathwaite
<brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com> wrote:
It looks like the limitation for 3D might not be so much the technology, but
user limitation (people with astigmatisms, eyes that aren't properly
aligned, people who only have one eye, and so forth). I have no idea how
many people fit this category, but if it is sizeable, it could have some
sort of impact ...

--
Chantel Brathwaite
Technical Writer