Eye, I, aye! Display this!

Subject: Eye, I, aye! Display this!
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:26:59 -0400

All,

I have a pair of 20.1-inch Dell 2007 displays, from a previous computer.

Now, I've got a laptop (HP EliteBook 8540p), and I don't want those two external displays to go to waste.
They are currently mounted side-by-side on my Kangaroo sit-stand workstation, so having one of them sit blank is annoyingly obvious.

The laptop has nVidia video, and has a VGA port and a DisplayPort.

The docking station (which is what I will always use here at the office) has VGA-out, the DisplayPort, and a DVI connector. Ultimate setup would be the onboard display along with the two DELL displays, but I'm sure the video adapter is not capable of such extremes. Next best would be just the two external displays. The question is how?

I don't want clone. I want "dual view" - two different pieces of an extended desktop.

The built-in display can go blank while I'm using the external displays... if only I can figure out how to do it.

Currently, the Windows Display Properties diaglog, and the nVidia nView dialog both see the onboard display and the VGA-connected display, and do not see the DVI-connected display. I don't have anything for DisplayPort, and don't want to bother buying the cable (with my own dime) unless I'm pretty sure it'll work. So far... not so much.

Has anybody got a setup like I'd want?

- kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com