Re: "Technical documentation is the new sales"

Subject: Re: "Technical documentation is the new sales"
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

That was back in the days when buying of technical items was actually done by people in the buying company's technical staff, or at least by others who had an idea about technical matters. Nowadays, almost all such buying is done by bean counters who don't really care about anything but the quarterly report.

Years ago I got in an argument with a manager who said documentation got little regard because there was no way to quantify its effect on the bottom line.  I pointed out that actually, there was a way to measure it to the penny.  I said all the company had to do was release a new software upgrade without documentation, and advertise that the new user interface was so good, they were not releasing a help system or any other documentation because it wasn't needed.  All they had to do was use that advertising pitch for one quarter, then compare that quarter's sales figures to the previous quarter, and they would know exactly how much difference was made by documentation.  After that he changed the subject.