RE: Word without proliferation of styles

Subject: RE: Word without proliferation of styles
From: "Tim J. Slager" <TSlager -at- isdcorporation -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:08:25 -0400

The problem with converting it to text first is that it is difficult to know what the intended/original style was. I suspect that most of it looks about right; it's just that several styles are giving the same look for each would-be style.

I would create shortcut key combinations for the styles you want and then use these to apply the correct styles one style at a time. Or, if you don't want to create shortcut keys, you can use CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy the correct style and use CTRL+SHIFT+V to copy the style to the paragraphs that need this style. Use CTRL+right arrow to jump from one paragraph to the next for common styles like body text (although this doesn't work so well for numbered lists). You can also select a block of adjacent paragraphs before copying the style to them.

I've completely reformatted some reasonably large files this way in about an hour. Then make sure the styles shown in the list are only the one in use, rather than the whole list of what might be. I think you can delete styles to help clean things up.

tims

From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
> I'm thinking that the best approach is to just suck it all into
> Notepad, then start pasting, piecemeal, into a clean LibreOffice
> document, and applying the clean style scheme from there.

Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as TSlager -at- isdcorporation -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tslager%40isdcorporation.com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

http://www.doctohelp.com