Re: Reasons to adopt FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Reasons to adopt FrameMaker
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: Federico Viani <Federico -dot- Viani -at- telit -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:43:20 -0500

Federico,

Your organization needs to have a better understanding of what its true
documentation needs are. Don't try to force the problem to fit the tools
available. Framemaker may or may not be the best solution for you, but it
really does depend on a number of factors. What kind of documents do you
need to produce? Are any customized for customers? How much translation do
you need to do? Are they large documents? Do they contain high proportions
of graphics? How many levels of review do they need to go through prior to
production? How often will the docs need to be updated? How many people are
currently trained on the tools you have? What problems have you
encountered with those tools? What's your long-range doc strategy? What's
your budget for licenses and support?

And probably a hundred more questions other experts on the list could also
ask. I've worked for global organizations that never used Framemaker, ones
that used it but only certain tech writers were allowed to use it, and ones
that stuck with Word. I'm still waiting to work for one that scoped the
problem BEFORE picking a tool to try to solve it!

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney