Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions

Subject: Re: Coaching less experienced folks on asking good questions
From: Phil <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L list <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:52:43 +0700

If you think of your new, inexperienced colleague as rather in terms of an "apprentice" - someone who needs to learn the domain but quickly - the idea of telling them they have "a question budget" strikes me as the worst kind of policy.

Regardless of how much homework they do, they are still going to rocked by doubts about their understanding, the more so the more complex the domain. What's missing in the advice so far in this thread is an appreciation of the learner's lack of self-confidence and spadefuls of doubt when starting in a new organisation and/or dealing with a new technical domain with nothing but senior "too-busy-to-answer-stupid-questions" kind of staff to rely on. This is exactly the kind of work environment that good managers try to avoid.

While much of the advice in this thread is good, if it is not backed up with supervision and support you're likely to end up with a technical writer making big mistakes in their documentation for fear of asking questions that will draw nothing but ire.

Advice for not asking stupid questions on an open-source help forum (referring back to the OP's link here) and advice for not asking questions in a professional environment (where all are supposed to be pulling towards the same goal) are rather different kettles of fish. Or so it seems to me.

Best

Phil

http://www.doctohelp.com