Re: "Frame Light?" was: RE: Framemaker Viewer? Floating Licenses?

Subject: Re: "Frame Light?" was: RE: Framemaker Viewer? Floating Licenses?
From: "ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com" <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:09:48 +0000 (GMT)

Very interesting conversation with the Frame Product Manager and new TCS3
evangelist on Friday at the London 'launch' event for TCS3.
What capabilities would you want FrameLight to have? How many licenses would
you want? How would you want it delivered (local app, or browser-based)? (How
many full Frame, or TCS, licenses do have at the moment?) What might you
consider a reasonable price to pay?Â

It seems the new PM for Frame is serious about developing a business case for
the product. Answers here please. (I'm sure he's watching, but if not I'll
collate and report back.)
I'm using CS4 Design Standard and Frame8 at the moment. We have 4-5 other Frame
licenses in the company, none of which are currently being used; and I probably
have 130 potential user of FrameLight.
Where I work, I would want FL users to be able to develop content in templates
created by full-license holders, structured or unstructured (DITA).
The ability to create conditional text would be nice, but is not essential.Â

Ability to add metadata to structured content probably is essential.
Ability to insert pictures by referencewould be nice, but is not essential.
I have lots of SMEs who 'play' with Word. The ability to take away formatting
options, except for Bold and Emphasis styles (once they are persuaded of the
benefits) would present an enormous time (read 'cost') saving to the company.Â
Control+M has to be a non-feature of FrameLight.
In my current context I would want the ability for FL users, as with TCS3, to be
able to check-in and check-out, and be included in the workflow from a 'CMS-type
thingy' - In our case SharePoint 2010.
Floating licenses would also be useful, because I can see a need for external
contractors to use it (via browser-based delivery?).

I'm sure I'll think of other things I would want it to do, or not do; but this
is my starter list. What's on yours?
Best regards,
Ant

http://www.doctohelp.com