Google Chrome 9.0.597.84 still broken for WebHelp

Subject: Google Chrome 9.0.597.84 still broken for WebHelp
From: RÃdacteur en chef <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com >> TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:28:31 -0500

All,

I think the last time I noticed, Chrome was at 8-dot-something, and
it was broken for WebHelp.

I make it a point to try my help on all the big browsers as each
of my projects comes around toward its release date.

Chrome appears to have updated itself to 9.0.5...., and it is still broken
for WebHelp.

I doubt that all the other browsers - which work perfectly fine with
WebHelp, so far, are leaving a huge security hole unplugged, so
I'm refusing to say that WebHelp is broken. It's Chrome's fault.

If there was a problem, then the other browsers have addressed
it by now, in a fashion that doesn't preclude WebHelp.

There were rumors that Google was addressing the problem since
version 8-dot-something was in Beta, and now we're at 9.0
released/stable version, so it seems fair to say that either
Google has no intention of fixing the problem that they made,
or else no capability to do so.

I've got a hundred bucks here that says somebody at Google
used the nefarious power of the all-groping Google tentacles
to check how many instances of "WebHelp" were actually
ON the Web, and decided that the number was too small
to bother with.

Of course, most instances of WebHelp won't BE on the web.
They're on company servers, protected by logins, or (like
mine) they're stand-alone on CDs and on hard disks of
product users.

I... ahem... Googled for a workaround, but didn't see
anything I'd want to tell my customers, so I'm continuing
to include a Readme.txt that says "... WebHelp viewable in
any modern browser, except Google Chrome".
The only workarounds I've seen suggested on the Flare and
RoboHelp forums have been worse than the problem.

Of course, I can't add snarky little readme files to
the past 10 years of product that's already out there,
so those customers will need to learn the hard way.
Anybody who's had a product for ten years is usually
looking at the Help _only_ in a situation where something
has gone wrong and they need to sort it out quickly.
It also doesn't help that Chrome worked fine with WebHelp
for many releases prior to 8-dot-something-or-other.

Has anybody seen anything useful or amusing on this topic?

</kevin>

--
 Â__o
_`\<,_