Re: TechCom skills competency grid or matrix

Subject: Re: TechCom skills competency grid or matrix
From: "Dana Worley (MVP/JB)" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:35:16 -0700

I don't think a matrix of skills is useful after the hiring process. To
evaluate job performance I take a more holistic view:

* The employee's goals for a period and how well those goals were
achieved
* The number and complexity of projects completed
* The value added to the product because of the employee's skills
* The employee's level of responsibility and commitment
* The level of independence in getting the job done
* The employee's interaction with other members of the team

I can readily make a case for a salary increase if I have a person who
accomplishes a significant amount of work, who always takes on the
toughest projects and makes them look easy, and who is passionate about
getting the work done (and who doesn't drive me crazy in the process ;-) ).

Dana W.

--
Campbell Scientific, Inc.

http://www.doctohelp.com