Re: Data modeling freeware recommendations

Subject: Re: Data modeling freeware recommendations
From: Chuck Murray <charles -dot- murray -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:37:26 -0500

If I can put in a "plug" for one of the products I document (help and
user's guide, single-sourced), Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is a
free tool that may meet your needs. Just to double-check, I asked our
product manager (Sue Harper), who replied:

"Yes - Data Modeler works for this. You could reply to the list to say
that SQL Developer Data Modeler supports a number of different
diagramming models including multi-dimensional and relational models.
They can certainly connect to and import the definitions of these fact
and dimension tables and create a model based on those. There are a few
tutorials and demos on the Oracle Technology Network to help them get
started."

For more information and to download the product:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/datamodeler/overview/

Kelly Parr wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a free/cheap data modeling tool for Windows XP?
>
> It doesn't have to be comprehensive, as I am not diagramming a large
> database schema-I need it to illustrate the 7 example databases we ship
> with our product. All dbs are relatively small, comprising 2-4 fact
> tables and 5-10 dimension tables each.
>
> I could use Visio, but I'd rather use a tool that was designed for this
> kind of work, and a Google search returned too many options!
>
> Thanks much,
> Kelly

Chuck Murray Oracle Corporation
Phone: (603) 897-3155 One Oracle Drive
mailto:Charles -dot- Murray -at- oracle -dot- com Nashua, NH 03062

http://www.doctohelp.com