RE: Running Book Title Header

Subject: RE: Running Book Title Header
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Bruce Megan (ST-CO/ENG2.2)" <Megan -dot- Bruce -at- us -dot- bosch -dot- com>, techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 08:25:58 -0800

Bruce Megan wrote:

> I am using FrameMaker 7 and I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a
> running header using the Book Title. I know how to change the running
> header using the different Paragraph Tags...but I cannot seem to figure out
> how to use the book title.

Assuming you have a book with multiple files, you can't use a Running H/F variable with a paratag reference because it can only reference paragraphs in the same file. But the alternative is simple.

Instead of typing the book title onto the title page, create and insert a user variable named Book Title, making its definition the title of the book. Then import variables from the title page file to all the files of the book. Use the Book Title variable in the master page headers.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.