Re: if you had 60 seconds to evaluate a support web page, what would youlook for

Subject: Re: if you had 60 seconds to evaluate a support web page, what would youlook for
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: List, Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:31:31 -0800

The first thing I always look for, especially if I'm looking as part of a
purchase decision, is whether the support page provides an easy means of hooking
up with a live human being in case the page doesn't provide the required
information. The absence of this tells me the company isn't really dedicated to
making sure customers get support regardless of how attractive the website
seems.

The next thing I look for is whether the site is designed to help me identify
and solve issues. If it isn't, then the "articles" are of no more use than a
badly-written software manual that describes all the dialogs and buttons but not
how to use them for their intended purpose.

The rest of the items cited strike me as pretty much "Tech Writing 101."

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com