Re: OT: How to write 85,000 books

Subject: Re: OT: How to write 85,000 books
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:27:38 +0300

Julie,

While the titles the man is creating obviously have an extremely
limited potential audience--if you happen to be one of those people,
you may find the information invaluable.

That said, I regard this as only the tip of an onrushing iceberg. With
continued development in artificial intelligence, I suspect this sort
of thing will become more common and far more sophisticated in coming
years.

For example, one increasingly interesting project is Nepomuk, which
has been embraced in Linux and continues to gain capabilities. At
present, information is tagged using RDF; however, I think it is
likely only a matter of time before the information content can be
processed to become automatically accessible. Also interesting are the
plans to make this a "social desktop" in which information can be
linked between various users' desktops. We are only beginning to
understand this kind of capability and what it can mean in future.
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/Project+Objectives

There is a Java proof of concept implementation of Nepomuk, but
perhaps the most advanced implementation is in the KDE desktop in
Linux. Note that in KDE there are already applications that are
automatically providing the RDF information without the need for
separate tagging by the user: http://nepomuk.kde.org/

In my opinion, this sort of development is quite exciting--but we are
only at the very beginning stages.

I can only speculate where this may all lead over the coming decade or so.

Unfortunately, at 61 and not in the best of health, I doubt I will be
around in twenty years to find out where it has led in that time.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com