RE: Two Professional Questions

Subject: RE: Two Professional Questions
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Roberta Hennessey <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:56:18 -0700

Congratulations, you've posted to the list. There is no moderator filtering messages. If you're ever in doubt about the appropriateness of something, send it to admin@ techwr-l.com (as indicated at the bottom of each message you receive from the list).

> 2. I am on a contract job and using Word to document an application. My
> manager has asked to outline the benefits of going with FrameMaker instead
> of Word. I have a draft in Word and my idea is to show a mock up of a
> FrameMaker document to visually display the quality difference.

I happen to think that FM is superior to Word in many respects, but Gene is right -- it depends on the situation, and if an experienced FM user can't think of obvious benefits in a specific situation, there probably isn't much of a case to be made.

In any case, an FM mockup strikes me as pointless. FM's major advantages involve process (large doc management, solid autonumbering, better generated lists and xrefs, variables, conditions, etc.), not appearance. What kind of visual "quality difference" would you expect a mockup to reveal?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/