The verb "to search" and Windows 7

Subject: The verb "to search" and Windows 7
From: C G <cg -dot- tw75 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:32:18 +0200

Hi there,
Here's 2/3 questions for the price of 1 =)
We have a component whose name was recently changed to "Search for files".
My boss asked why it wasn't called "file search" or "search files". I
explained that what the component does is look inside folders and subfolders
and give you a list of all the files that match your search criteria, which
to me means it is searching FOR files. It doesn't look inside the files,
which would be searching the files. Am I correct? Does the verb work in the
same way in British and American English?
But then my boss said that the search box of the start menu in Windows 7
says "Search programs and files". Is it that Windows 7 also looks inside the
files??
Thanks for you help!
C.

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/