Re: New TECHWR-L Poll: Employment Topic

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll: Employment Topic
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:40:09 -0500

I always send a "thank you" note for an interview, phone or in person.
Partly to make sure I follow standards, partly to see if I can start a
"relationship." The relationship aspect is nebulous: I've never received any
feedback about it. But I've inferred that they are helpful, because if
there's a decent fit, I often get further information or at least another
inquiry.

This market is horrible, I'll be honest. The only way I've been employed is
to adhere to every tip I've been able to find and to lower my salary
requirements to pre-2006 standards. That said, I'm happy to be employed. At
this point, I don't have the energy to do much more, but I think it would be
helpful to do the standard ploys, such as emphasizing one's fit with the
position, and think beyond the box. Not do one instead of the other, but
pull out all the stops. Use social networking in addition to all the basic,
tried and true techniques.

Regards and thanks for all you do,

Kathleen

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com> wrote:

> A thank you note tells me several things about you, including the fact that
> you have "good
> manners". We all want to work with people with good manners.
>
> 2 cents,
>
> Dana W.
>
> On Tuesday, September 07, 2010, Erika Yanovich wrote:
>
> > On a related note for discussion: As a hiring manager of
> > technical writers, how valuable do you find post-interview
> > thank you letters?
>
> ***************************
> Dana Worley
> Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
> Campbell Scientific, Inc.
> Microsoft MVP, Windows Help
>
> www.jestersbaubles.com

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
> Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
> See program at: http://lavacon.org/
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen.eamd%40gmail.com

Kathleen MacDowell