Re: web apps - how to embed help ?

Subject: Re: web apps - how to embed help ?
From: Craig Haiss <craighaiss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:53:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Monique. You could try using the HTML-based outputs from Flare or RoboHelp. Both have APIs that programmers can use to link help into the GUI.

You could also just use straight HTML topics, and the programmers can manually build calls to show the right topic. You'll just have to provide some sort of map file that tells the programmer which help topic should show up for each interface object. The JavaScript OnMouseOver event can be used to display topics when you hover over an interface element.

However, the first option (Flare or RoboHelp) is probably the easiest, since help topics in these tools are available to guide you and the programmers through the process of linking your help to the interface.

Good luck!

-Craig Haiss