Anything better for Word2003 conditional text than LiveLinx?

Subject: Anything better for Word2003 conditional text than LiveLinx?
From: Peter PoPoMo <peterpopomo -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:16:11 -0400

With a fast learning curve, and lean price?

The tech. doc. dept. at the company I'm at is slowly getting ArborText
installed, but the process of developing the DTD's, and mapping the in-house
doc styles to S1000D, etc. is not instantaneous. As in maybe another four
months.... Meanwhile, I'm working with Word2003, which is what's been used
to create operator and installation manuals, well, since they got it, and
probably with earlier versions of Word before that.

I'm now tasked with creating customized versions of various sections.
There's been some use of LiveLinx, a very simple conditional text plug-in.
After trying it out with the complexity I'd have to deal with - chapters of
up to 150 pages, with 25-30% variant data for each custom variant being
generating out of a common doc., I want to know if there's anything better,
while still staying within the confines of Word. There's just too much to
deal with changing in the short term, with deadlines and all, and the
eventual conversion to a real industrial solution.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/