RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?

Subject: RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:55:33 -0400

Monique Semp asked:

I now have two clients who want me to work in Word (instead of FrameMaker),
so I have to. But manually setting the PDF page numbering (for example,
when the preface is in Roman numerals but the rest of the doc in Arabic
numerals), default view properties, and bookmark collapse levels every time
I create a PDF is driving me batty. Plus I know I'll forget something at
some point.

So, does anyone know of a Word equivalent (for both 2003 and 2007 -- yes,
the two clients want different versions) for the Microtype TimeSavers
program that is so excellent for FrameMaker docs?

Hi Monique,

I have clients that use Word 2003, 2007, and I use Word 2010. I have no
problem setting the page numbering in Word and creating a PDF with the page
numbering intact (formatter is in Roman numerals and rest of content in
Arabic numerals). Most of the documents I create are in excess of 200 pages
and the front matter varies from 10 to 50 pages (lot of CYA safety stuff).

Why are you setting the PDF page numbering manually? If you have Word 2003
or 2007, Adobe's PDFMaker plug in carries the page numbers and cross
references to the PDF in the correct font with few hitches. If you have Word
2010, the built in PDF maker will carry over the page numbers and cross
references, but it won't highlight the cross references (so you can't find
them unless you roll over one accidentally). Several aftermarket PDF makers
can do the trick for those of us using Word 2010 (PDF Transformer by ABBYY
Software works pretty good). Adobe has stated this problem will be fixed
with its next release of Acrobat (translates to buy a new copy and your
problem will be cured....trust us).

Hope this helps....or am I missing what you're asking.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/