Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:56:18 -0400

So, I was like:

> Will certification predict whether a technical communicator will do a good job? I can only argue by analogy. But in other professional and technical fields, certification has significant measurable financial value to employers, practitioners, credentialing associations, and the public. I'm talking money, folks. Employers find certified professionals more valuable, so they compete for them, and thus have to pay them more than uncertified professionals to get them. You'd better believe we looked at this as part of our information gathering, and we saw no reason why this pattern won't hold for technical communicators.

And Milan DavidoviÄ was all:

> Can you share the sources you looked at?

So I say easy peasy, though I think I've lost the argot:

On salaries, compared with non-certified practitioners:
Association of Financial Professionals: Certified support staff +30%
Institute of Management Accountants: CPA, CMAs, and CFMs +27%
Certified Fraud Examiners: +22%
American Association of Professional Coders (2007): certified coders +17%
Project Management Institute: PMPs +15% [it's increased since then, to over 17%--sfj]
Certified Information Systems Auditor: +10%

On organizations:
Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) Value of Certification Survey (2008): 48% say their company believes that hiring HR professionals gives a competitive edge; 73% of leaders say certified HR professionals inspire greater trust and confidence from colleagues
International Data Corporation (IDC) white paper on Microsoft certification conclusion: Get as many certified engineers as possible
Service Oriented Architecture Institute: Businesses spend $6525 per person on certification; 90% say they got expected ROI

On the hiring decision:
ISCC: 90% who hire IS staff say certification is important
HRCI: 50% say hiring managers consider certification when interviewing or hiring

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Chair
STC Certification Committee

mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
mobile:978-413-2553

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.
-- H. L. Mencken

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/