Editing Tests Needed for Research Study

Subject: Editing Tests Needed for Research Study
From: "Boettger, Ryan" <Ryan -dot- Boettger -at- unt -dot- edu>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:03:48 -0500

Dear Editors,

Does your company use editing, punctuation, and/or grammar tests to screen its prospective employees?

I am an Assistant Professor of Technical Communication at the University of North Texas and am undertaking a research study on editing tests. I am analyzing these tests for the types and frequencies of errors and then comparing them to existing research on errors that college students make in their writing.

So far I have found 38 companies generous enough to let me see their tests but would like to further expand my data sample. This study will not disclose company names or any sections of the tests themselves--my results will just present an anonymous comparison of the types of errors. I am also happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement to further protect the integrity of your company's test.

If you would like to participate, please send me a copy of your test and answer key (if available) as well as the state and primary industry of your company (such as "Texas, travel").

Please feel free to email me at ryan -dot- boettger -at- unt -dot- edu with any questions. My study complies with the research regulations outlined by the University of North Texas' Institutional Review Board.

Thank you,

-Ryan Boettger

Ryan Boettger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics & Technical Communication
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #305298
Denton, Texas 76203

940.565.4458 (TEL)
940.369.8652 (FAX)
www.LingTechComm.unt.edu

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/