Into the Cloud (was RE: Missing Windows right-click key)

Subject: Into the Cloud (was RE: Missing Windows right-click key)
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:39:34 -0400

I'd be interested to know how many people in the list
(OK, how many who have 'voices', and aren't in perma-lurk)
are in situations/companies where they would even be
_allowed_ to engage cloud services and resources.

My own employers, as well as the brighter of our competitors,
are working feverishly to create products, services, "solutions"
to secure the cloud and people's access to it.
A lot of that effort still revolves around educating
the customer. Or perhaps educating the customer's
customers (the using public) to demand data security.

You won't see me switching soon from desktop apps and
local server to SaaS and cloud storage of my resource
materials and source files.

You really won't see our engineering departments and
product managers storing and sharing market requirements
docs, statements of work, design papers, test plans, etc.
on publicly provided spaces.

The reason is privacy and control. When Google or some
other provider is providing the servers and the tools,
they have our data - some of it sensitive and proprietary -
in their possession. They could poke and dissect it at
their leisure, sell to competitors, etc.

Actually, Google and other big providers would not do
so. Their continued success rests on unsullied reputations.
However, they have employees - lots and lots of employees.
Many of those employees have great, big, swingin'... er...
technical chops. The point being that the organization
doesn't necessarily know that they've been infiltrated
or that people inside the organization have been subverted.

Thus their customers (you?) can't know that the provider
has not been compromised and [your] data up for sale to
the highest bidder.

Is your employer ready to trust the integrity and privacy
of company data to the cloud? Prudence dictates assuming the worst.

How about HR and payroll?

For that matter - since many companies outsource payroll
and other clerical functions - do you [does your employer]
_know_ that your big payroll-handling service doesn't
use labor from half a world away, and apps and storage
in somebody else's server farm? What might be the regulatory
concerns? How about securities-related info (like SEC's
purview in the USA)?

As the concern becomes a bottleneck to further expansion
of cloud services, the big players will buy and implement
solutions to encrypt, authenticate, validate, at every
step in the process, so that a client can finally know
that their data and activities and conversations are
protected through the full cycle.

Earliest adopters must tend to be the public, who have
a carefree attitude to their own personal data, or who
imagine that the anonymity of huge numbers protects them.

Corporations with sensitive data will follow along when
there's evidence that the cloud infrastructure has been
secured end-to-end.

Thoughts? Observations?

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Bill Swallow
> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:41 PM
> To: Jimmy Breck-McKye
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Missing Windows right-click key
>
> Of course it might have absolutely nothing to do with the consumer
> computing market moving more toward cloud computing. ;-)
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Jimmy Breck-McKye
> <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:
> > Laptop size; reasonable keyboard; economical.
> >
> > Pick two.

or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/