RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: "Donald White" <dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>
To: "'Fred Ridder'" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <kevin -dot- mclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:09:28 -0400

One of the definitions given by Merriam-Webster for "professional" is
"characterized by conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a
profession." A professional certification is "a designation earned by a
person to assure qualification to perform a job or task." (Wikipedia)

I suppose the Society feels it best answers concerns over objectivity and
arbitrariness by resting its certification solely on evaluations of
portfolios and work artifacts. (I wonder how a technical communicator whose
work is done exclusively with proprietary or classified documentation can
obtain such certification.)

Many believe, as do I, that a standards-based approach is much more
measurable or quantifiable.

Of course, one of the benefits to the Society from a professional
certification institute would be financial. If, that is, the institute or
the Society attain respect and recognition as an authoritative voice.

Cheers,

Donald H. White
James River Technical Communications
804.795.2914
dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com
www.jrtcllc.com

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/