Re: Saving docs in Word 2003

Subject: Re: Saving docs in Word 2003
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:18:55 -0400

On Jul 18, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Tim Murray wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2010, at 08:39 AM, Mike Stockman wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, Word 2008 for Mac demonstrates the behavior you described (cutting off the name at the first dash).
>
> I want to make sure I get this right: Are you saying if you type 12-34 as a file name you get 12.docx or 12-.docx? If so, I have never seen that behavior.

When you type it in the Title field of the Properties dialog for a new document, then save the document, Word suggests the truncated version (up to the hyphen) as the file name. You can always override that suggestion and include hyphens or any other valid characters at that point, and they'll be used just fine.

When you save a new document, Word uses the Title field, or the first line of the document up to the first punctuation, as the suggested file name. That's what Deborah (the original poster) was asking about.

Mike

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/