Re: Word "Final" versus pdf

Subject: Re: Word "Final" versus pdf
From: Paul Goble <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:14:33 -0500

> I'm wondering about the pros and cons of publishing this way (Word "final") versus publishing as a pdf, and would appreciate any thoughts.

The answer depends on *to whom* the document is being published. IF
the audience is entirely internal to the client's company, AND they're
all guaranteed to have a compatible version of Word, AND they're all
guaranteed to have all of the fonts used in the document, AND they're
all guaranteed to be using the same (or similar) model of default
printer, AND they're guaranteed to only want to read the document
within the aforementioned "controlled" computing environment, AND
they've all been educated that they might sometimes receive "final"
Word documents which they're not able to edit, then it could work. If
any of those conditions is not true, then you'll be dealing with the
frustration of "this looks totally different when by boss opens it,"
as opposed to "one person is annoyed by a few extra pixels."

--
Paul Goble
Omaha, Nebraska

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/