C & Doxygen > XML > PDF

Subject: C & Doxygen > XML > PDF
From: Moti <moti -dot- kagan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:04:44 -0400

Hello. My department creates documentation for C-language toolkits.
Right now, we use Doxygen and an internally-developed set of scripts
to generate Framemaker files the source code header files, with the
main document content coming from comment text in the header files.

I'm interested in trying to move toward some more standard way of
doing things. We'd still need to use Doxygen (because the developers
are used to marking-up their header files using the Doxygen tags), but
I'd be interested in doing-away with the custom scripts and instead
taking Doxygen's XML output and running it through some standard XML
utility to produce either Framemaker or PDF files.

One complication is that we need to be able to select particular
groups of functions/structures/returncodes for
inclusion, while leaving others out (by group, I mean
items defined together in one header file or grouped using Doxygen
grouping tags). And we need to be able to control the order of the
groups in the final document.

We also need to be able to insert introductory text sections at the
beginnings of documents and chapters, whose content does not come from
the header files. And we need to be able to control the
formatting of the document to match corporate templates.

Finally, the solution should allow the setup work for a document to 'persist'--
after arranging all the choices of what to include leave/out and what order to
put it in, we should be able to easily re-generate the document, whenever
the developers update the header files, without having to do setup all
over again.

Is anyone else documenting APIs in this way? I don't want to re-invent
the wheel.
I am just starting to learn about XML and would be grateful for any guidance.

Thanks,
Moti

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/