RE: RE: Mac vs PC users

Subject: RE: RE: Mac vs PC users
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 22:14:39 +0000

Kevin was referring to a particular situation in which a product's developers actually created multiple paths that weren't just inherited from the OS. Multiple paths in such a case should be documented somehow, but unless I have the time and resources to write a separate set of instructions for every operation so the user can access help and select the "menu method," "right-click method," "hotkey method," etc., for each operation, my inclination would be to have a single section somewhere that documents the fact that there are alternative/shortcut methods and provides some "typical" examples to help readers to find them. As a user, if I installed software and found myself confronted with multi-option instructions for every single step, that product would probably end up becoming another candidate for my uninstall/purge registry method of dealing with bad software.

Gene Kim-Eng