RE: How French Has Influenced English

Subject: RE: How French Has Influenced English
From: "Maxwell Hoffmann" <mhoffmann -at- globalizationpartners -dot- com>
To: <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:06:16 -0700

Monique, thanks for the great post. Languages have always fascinated me
(otherwise I wouldn't be working for a translation agency!) For anyone
interested in digging deeper into how language evolves and the roots of
English, I strongly recommend two books by John Mcwhorter. I include titles,
URLs and brief description from amazon.com:

http://amzn.to/byf8J4
The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language by John Mcwhorter

>From Booklist
This book is not for those uncomfortable with change. McWhorter's main goal
is to convey to laypeople what linguists know about the inexorable
changeability of languages. He compares our popular understanding of
language to Monopoly instructions--static and written as though "from on
high." But whereas Parkers Brothers is not likely to revise the rules of its
game, language is as transitory as a cloud formation. From this analogy,
aided by parallels with natural evolution, McWhorter shows us how the
world's many dialects arose from a single Ur-tongue. He emphasizes the idea
that "dialect is all there is." What we call a "standard language" is in
fact a dialect that has been anointed by people in power and by cultural
circumstances. All this becomes a tad academic in places, but McWhorter's
use of analogies, anecdotes, and popular culture keeps the discussion
lively. A worthy contribution to our understanding of the defining feature
of human life. Philip Herbst

http://amzn.to/9Exh4I
Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English by John
Mcwhorter

This evolutionary history of the English language from author and editor
McWhorter (The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language) isn't an easy
read, but those fascinated by words and grammar will find it informative,
provocative and even invigorating. McWhorter's history takes on some old
mysteries and widely-believed theories, mounting a solid argument for the
Celtic influence on English language that literary research has for years
dismissed; he also patiently explains such drastic changes as the shift from
Old English to Middle English (the differences between written and spoken
language explain a lot). Those who have learned English as a second language
will recognize McWhorter's assertion that "English really is easy(-ish) at
first and hard later"; for that, he says, we can "blame... the Danish and
Scandinavian" influence. McWhorter further proves his bona fides with deft
analogies, like a comparison between the evolution of English and popping a
wheelie on a bicycle; he also debunks, handily, the popular notion that "a
language's grammar and the way its words pattern reflect aspects of its
speakers' culture and the way they think." McWhorter's iconoclastic impulses
and refreshing enthusiasm makes this worth a look for anyone with a love for
the language.

Maxwell Hoffmann
Director, Multilingual Document Globalization Practice
Globalization Partners International (GPI)
www.globalizationparters.com
Direct: +1 503-336-5952 -- Mobile: +1 503-805-3719
US Toll Free: 866-272-5874 -- Global Fax: +1 202-478-0956
GPI provides document, software and website translation/localization in over
100 languages. DTP services include structured FrameMaker DITA/XML.